Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Hitler Discount

This quote is more than a little unclear, but it sounds like Ratzinger was saying he didn't like the Hitler Youth and only joined to avoid paying full tuition.

"When the Hitler Youth was established, my brother was forced to become a member," Cardinal Ratzinger said in an interview in 1997. "I was still too young, but later, when I entered the seminary, I also joined. But as soon as I had left the seminary, I never went to see them again. And this was difficult, because in order to be entitled to get a discount on the tuition fee, which I urgently needed, one had to prove that one was a member of the Hitler Youth."

Not exactly a profile in courage. All it takes for evil to triumph is to offer good men the opportunity to save a few marks.

No comments: