Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Big Wet One

I wish I had the adult undergarment concession for the right-wing blogosphere on this story:

BAGHDAD — The commander of United States troops in Baghdad asked local leaders and tribal sheiks this weekend for their forgiveness after the discovery that a soldier had used a Koran for target practice at a shooting range.

Responding to an episode ripe with the potential to stoke unrest, the commander, Maj. Gen. Jeffery Hammond, held a meeting Saturday with Iraqi leaders.

"I come before you here seeking your forgiveness," General Hammond said at the meeting, in remarks carried by CNN. "In the most humble manner, I look in your eyes today and I say, please forgive me and my soldiers."

General Hammond also read a letter of apology from the soldier, who was not identified. "I sincerely hope that my actions have not diminished the partnership that our two nations have developed together," the general read from the letter.

Another American officer kissed a Koran and gave it to the tribal leaders, according to news agency reports.

On the other hand, the American soldier was sent of Iraq, so we may see many more assassinated scriptures in the coming months. (And years, if Saint John has his way.)

No comments: