Thursday, April 22, 2004

Pegaloon

"[Bush] reminds me of a man I know who was imprisoned in Vietnam. We went to lunch in a place with short candles on the table. I was asking about the Hanoi Hilton. A waiter walked by and bumped the table, which made a candle tilt against a wicker basket full of bread. The basket was lined with paper napkins, which went up in flames. The man didn't change his tone of voice as he continued his story, quietly picked up the flaming basket, placed it on the floor and softly stepped on it with his large right shoe. The flames went out. He continued his narrative as he eyed a waiter, handed him the smoking basket and asked for more bread. President Bush reminds me of that guy. He would not offer sensitive or witty commentary on how odd it is to be surprised by fire on a spring day, but he would put the fire out."

In truth, he'd call his old man to ensure that he was kept 5,000 miles away from the fire, and have the government send someone else to put the fire out for him.

Nooners also says that Kerry reminds her of a sad, hollow tree, like the one in which she stores her nuts.

Rating: One and one-half magic dolphins.

p.s. -- I'm certain I first read the sobriquet "Pegaloon" somewhere else, but I can't remember where. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Update (4/23): A reader advises that TBogg is the originator of the word "Pegaloon," in this post from last November.

No comments: