Sunday, January 25, 2004

Dork that I am, I've been watching at a lot of the Democratic presidential campaign on C-SPAN. Here are some observations.

-- John Edwards gives a nearly identical speech everywhere he goes. Iowa and New Hampshire, event after event. If I hear it a couple more times, I'll have it memorized too. That's not a bad thing. It's a rousing speech, and presumably the audience is different each time. But it makes me wonder if Edwards is as quick on his feet as Dean or Kerry.

-- I think Kerry's participation in the hockey match was intended to dispel fears (and smears) about Kerry's health problems. It was a brilliant photo-op as well. Too bad Kerry didn't tell Bush to make like the Dallas Stars, and get the puck out of there.

-- Even when he tones down his message, Dean still manages to demonstrate passion as well as knowledge of the issues. Dean's speech this morning was very impressive. I think that's why people like MoDo, who don't believe in anything except their own imagined brilliance, loathe Dean.

-- A number of C-SPAN callers are obsessed with John Kerry's imitation of smoking a joint while Peter Yarrow sang Puff the Magic Dragon. These callers are all middle-age sounding men. Lighten up, guys. If there's anything that would keep kids off the marijuana, it's the thought of being like Peter Yarrow.

No comments: