Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Crushing of Dissent

Paul Mirengoff made some intemperate remarks about a Native American prayer at the Tuscon memorial, but then, upon reflection, conscientiously and humbly apologized for his remarks. In so doing, Paul reminded us that we're all imperfect and that we can all learn from our mistakes. Regretably, Paul has been punished for his candor. In a terse post dated January 28, Paul states:
I have made the decision to discontinue blogging at this time. I thank John and Scott for bringing me along on this ride and I thank our readers as well. I couldn't have hoped for better writing partners or for better readers. Best regards to all.

What are we to make of this bizarre "resignation" post? If the statement had been videotaped, would we see Paul reciting it in a monotone while his left eye blinked Morse code? I'd like to think that his partners Assrocket and Johnson did not force Paul out because he refused to toe the wingnut line of religous intolerance and bigotry. But they have not returned Paul's thanks, at least in print.

Paul, if you're reading this, I invite you to guest post at Roger Ailes at any time. Your opinions will not be censored here, even if I disagree with them. Let's show people that we can disagree without me crushing your skull metaphorically and taking your share of the Blogads money.

Update (1/30): Commenters are suggesting that Paul's decision to stop blogging is the result of pressure from the law firm in which Paul is a partner, a possibility which never occurred to me. Surely if that was the case, the conservative blogosphere would offer a full-throated defense of Paul -- calls for a boycott of Paul's lefty law firm, creation of a "Big Law Firm" or "Big AB [American Bar]" website to expose hostility toward conservatives in the legal services industry. Would the admittedly fearless John Hinderaker and Scott Johnson sit quietly by while their pal Paul was silenced by P.C. LLP? Of course, only Paul can answer that question, and I'm ready to host him when he's ready to speak.

No comments: