Sunday, May 17, 2009

Roger Presents: 1,500 Word Theater

Maureen Dowd: "no, we were going back and forth discussing the topic of the column and he made this point and i thought it was a good one and wanted to weave it in; i just didn't realize it was josh marshall's point, and we've now given him credit my friend didn't want to be quoted; but of course i would have been happy to give credit to another writer, as i often do."

Act I; Scene I:

Dowd: Boy, that Dick Cheney sure is something! I've got a lot to say about torture in my next column, but I just can't find the exact words.

Friend: The way I see it, Maureen, more and more the timeline is raising the question of why, if the torture was to prevent terrorist attacks, it seemed to happen mainly during the period when the Bush crowd was looking for what was essentially political information to justify the invasion of Iraq.

Dowd: That's an interesting point. Hold on. Let me write that down. Could you repeat that?

Friend: Sure. More and more the timeline is raising the question of why, if the torture was to prevent terrorist attacks, it seemed to happen mainly during the period when the Bush crowd was looking for what was essentially political information to justify the invasion of Iraq.

Dowd: Got it. May I use that? With credit, of course.

Friend: Of course. But I don't want any credit.

Dowd: I'd be happy to...

Friend: Thanks, but I'd rather you didn't quote me.

Dowd: You're the best. I can't tell you how much this helps me.

There are many ways to play this scene. If I'm Friend, what's my motivation?

No comments: