Friday, August 19, 2005

Just Us Sunday

(This is the post the computer ate. Seems to me it was funnier than this.)

As last Sunday approached, I was at a hypothetical crossroads. On the one hand, I could have spent an afternoon in the company of Southern California's finest bloggers at a fete hosted by Jane Hamsher of firedoglake and Stephen Anderson of SteveAudio. On the other hand, there was the once in a lifetime opportunity to liveblog Justice Sunday II: The Constitution's Dead. Torn between two such attractive choices, I spent the day curled up in bed, writhing and in a fetal position, like Clarence Thomas. Just an ordinary Sunday as Casa Ailes, really.

Kobepalooza, the Southern California event to which I was actually invited, did in fact feature the best SoCal polibloggers (except Digby). Jane Hamsher advises that I, or more accurately, the thing you're reading, also was a topic of conversation, in regard to my/its on-again off-again status on the Huffington Post blogroll.

Arianna Huffington told Jane that when my blog appeared on her blogroll the first day, the other Ailes called her asked why she was making fun of him. Apparently the other Ailes thought he was so important -- or so deserving of ridicule -- that someone created over two years of blog posts just to twit him. That, or he didn't actually bother to read this blog.

Arianna (may I call her that?) had no idea what was going on, she didn't create the blogroll or know anything about this blog. She thought someone in the office was playing a joke. So they just took the link down and eventually everything got straightened out.

The bottom line: Neither of them knew who the hell I was.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

And, in the end, my reinstatement on the blogroll was a pyrrhic victory. Just this week, the Huffington Post replaced its blogroll with banner ads and relegated the blogroll to a barely noticeable drop-down menu link.

Ah, well.

No comments: