Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11 Got Me Laid

Meeegan McArdle spells 9/II with two Is:

I am one of, I think, a relative few--the perhaps tens of thousands who can plausibly claim that 9/11 utterly changed their life. Without 9/11, I would not have worked at the World Trade Center; I would not have started blogging; I would not now be a journalist. I would not have had the relationships I had, or live in the city I now call home. I would be in all visible ways a completely different person if those towers had not come down. But in the story of 9/11, I am not even a bit player. I'm maybe an extra.

All visible ways? Did 9/11 cause Meeegan to have a growth spurt?

It's mighty white of Meeegan to allow that the spouses, siblings and parents and children of those killed on September 11, 2001 might also have had their lives changed "utterly" by 9/11, even if they don't go around claiming it.

But when you get to Meeegan's level of involvement in the aftermath of 9/11 -- "work[ing] in a trailer across the street [from the former World Trade Center], doing everything from handing out security passes, to database design, to typing letters" two months after 9/11, according to her -- then there are surely hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, who can claim their lives were changed by 9/11. Given the fact that 9/11 led to the U.S. invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, there were tens of thousands of people whose lives were utterly ended because of 9/11, perhaps a bigger change than that which might be wrought by using your employer's computer to link to WorldNetDaily articles while sittng across the way from where others did the actual, life-changing work of recovery and demolition.

One wonders how Meeegan will commemorate the 10th anniversary of 11/23, when she promised to post on "fascinating topics such as how much weight everyone's gained since 9-11."

(Quotes from Live From The WTC blog; you could look it up.)

No comments: