Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Conventional Blogging

This is a bit disappointing:

There will be 15,000 other media people (journalists, producers, and support staff) in Boston [at the Democratic National Convention]and 35 or so approved webloggers, all trying to make sense of the event, and tell the world what happens at it.

Not yet, keep reading.

Dave Winer of Scripting News got the nod and will be blogging from Boston. That's cool.

So expect dispatches from Boston that read like this:

Doc said of fellow Cluetrainer, Chris Locke and his alter-id, Rageboy: "The most out-there and purposely offensive blog. He's a genius, it's brilliant stuff. It's hostile." Then he laughs.

I've heard him say this before, and I've also heard David Weinberger say the same thing. They find Locke's cruelty amusing. I agree that Locke's site is purposely offensive, I might go a little further, but I wonder if Searls and Weinberger would like it so much if they were the targets?

Locke directs his hostility at people. I watched as he humiliated an old girlfriend. How does he get away with this? I wondered. People still seem to be his friend. I didn't say anything for fear that he'd go after me. Then he did. How did I offend him? I honestly don't know.

The Golden Rule comes before The Cluetrain Manifesto. If you aren't trying to treat people as you would like to be treated, you can't possibly do good, imho. You guys have taken a big detour, I think you've lost your way. When I first read the Cluetrain I was cheering, it was exciting. Now it's degraded and sick. Time for an intervention. Wake up guys, people matter. I still believe you're better than this. Much.

Who picked him, Zell Miller?

Anyone who says "Cluetrain Manifesto," much less reads it, is in need of an intervention.

Fortunately, the DNC picked some outstanding bloggers as well, such as Jeralyn Merritt of TalkLeft (who is also on Air America Radio tonight). If anyone has a complete list, please share!

p.s. If anyone cares, I didn't seek credentials, and can, off the top of my head, name 35 more deserving bloggers. (Dave Winer would not be one of them.) Besides, this new monitor is too damn heavy to lug around Boston for a week.

No comments: