Sunday, July 11, 2004

Answering A Hypothetical

In comments, Talk Left asked what I would have focused on had I applied for blogging credentials for the Democratic Convention in Boston, and gotten them.

Since this blog focuses on the media, most likely I would have focused on press coverage of the convention vs. the reality of the convention. That would have been primarily newspaper coverage, since it would be almost impossible to observe the cable coverage and the convention itself simultaneously. (I suppose it also depends on how close to the action the credentials would get me.)

I'd keep a beady eye out for the usual suspects in the media, hoping to spot them in embarassing situations (like on the cell phone with the no-chin twins, Gillespie and Mehlman; or demanding royal treatment from the Party).

And I probably would have asked in advance whether any readers were attending the convention, so I could interview them if they were interested. (Anyone who is attending and would like to share their experiences for publication, feel free to e-mail me.)

And just giving everyone a sense of what the scene was like. (For my own sake, too, since I've never been to a political event of that magnitude.)

Oh, and looking for stuff I could sell on eBay.

That's pretty close to what I'll be doing from home, flipping back and forth between C-SPAN and the cable news coverage, and blogging what I see.

And rummaging around my closets for stuff to sell on eBay.

No comments: