Saturday, December 04, 2004

Roger's Wingnut Poetry Corner

Roger is proud to share the crapulent couplets of Dr. Tommy Craft, beat poet of Cedar Shoals High School in Athens, Georgia. These verses were first broadcast over his school's public address system:

Now I sit me down in school

Where praying is against the rule

For this great nation under God

Finds mention of Him very odd

If Scripture now the class recites

It violates the Bill of Rights

And anytime my head I bow

Becomes a Federal matter now

Our hair can be purple, orange or green

That's no offense; it's a freedom scene

The law is specific, the law is precise

Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall

Might offend someone with no faith at all

In silence alone we must meditate

God's name is prohibited by the state

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks

And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks

They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible

To quote the Good Book makes me liable

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen

And the "unwed daddy," our Senior King

It's "inappropriate" to teach right from wrong

We're taught that such "judgments" do not belong

We can get our condoms and birth controls

Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles

But the Ten Commandments are not allowed

No word of God must reach this crowd

It's scary here I must confess

When chaos reigns the school's a mess

So, Lord, this silent plea I make:

Should I be shot, my soul please take!

snap! snap!

Timing is everything. If Tommy had read the poem at the school's JagFest, he would've won hands down.

(Thanks to Roger's Blue Ridge, GA correspondent.)

No comments: