Thursday, December 23, 2004

Department of Complaints

Has there ever been a bigger whiner than Daniel Okrent? (At least one who doesn't have a column at Clownhall.com.) This guy has done nothing in his tenure as Public Editor for the New York Times except bitch about the paper's readers. Here, Jokrent names as the media story of the year the fact that the great unwashed are -- imagine this! -- complaining to him about things they read in the Times:

"We all see things from our own perspective, but I think it was the way both the left and the right were primed and armed to assault the press. I felt this very keenly in my job when complaints came to me. There was a determination, a vigilance that staggered me. There was intimidation and self-dealing.

"It was amazing to me that Adam [Nagourney, the Times' national political reporter] and his colleagues can still keep their eyes on the ball. Obviously, everybody's got to be on their toes all the time to do a fair job and complete job, you have to not be intimidated but also not ignore it. I think it can affect what's in the paper - Ed Wasserman (Washington and Lee University journalism professor) calls it 'negotiated news,' where the response is dictated by efforts to keep people off your back instead of what you deal in - news.

"[The barrage] has tailed off substantially since the election, but it will start up again with the first Supreme Court appointment. I hope it comes after May 31st when I'm done with my job. Hang in there Mr. Rehnquist!"

Assault the press? WTF!?!

Why don't you do yourself a favor, Rent-boy, and quit now? Do something you enjoy -- and something you're qualified for -- instead. I hear Fox News has an opening for a fluffer.

No comments: