Thursday, March 11, 2004

I Resemble That Remark

Denny Hastert doesn't like it when John Kerry calls Illinois Republicans crooks and liars:

Q. Sir, Senator Kerry is on the Hill today, and yesterday he was --

Speaker Hastert. In Chicago, I believe.

Q. -- calling what sounded to be Republicans crooked and a lying group ...


[Hastert]. Well, not only did he say that, he said that in my home State. And, you know, I have tried to serve my tenure -- I am one of those Republicans in Illinois. If he wants to describe me as being crooked and a liar, I think he will have his comeuppance coming. You know, I think that is a wrong way to step forward in this campaign. I think the President went overboard in congratulating him on his nomination. If he wants to step off and start the campaign on this type of a note, you know, that is too bad. ...

Q. Coming out of the Congressional Black Caucus meeting a couple minutes ago, he said that I wasn't talking about the Republicans in that comment. He said, I was talking about the attack dogs. Do you accept that?

Speaker Hastert. No. He said Republicans. He clearly said in that statement Republicans. I am one of those Illinois Republicans, and I take great umbrage at that statement.

Dumpy Den's got a point. Calling Illinois Republicans crooks and liars is clearly the job of the United States Attorney's Office.

No comments: