Sunday, March 09, 2003

TexPundit?

I have the utmost respect for Kevin Drum, but I'm beginning to suspect he's really from El Paso or Corpus Christi. Like one of those imposter chickens that really isn't from California. What's my proof? Well, Kevin said this:

But I'm not so sure. Maybe I should call Arlen Specter's office and see what he's offering? After all, like they say in Texas, if you can't drink their whiskey, screw their women, take their money, and vote against 'em anyway, you don't belong in politics.

I know that quote is most often attributed to House Speaker Sam Rayburn, but many, including the very California-politics savvy Harry Shearer, credit California State Assembly Speaker Jesse Unruh with the quote. (See also here and here.)

Why would a loyal son of the Golden State credit Texans (of all things) with this vulgar but amusing quote? A true Californian knows that Sacramento is the source of all things vulgar and amusing.

No comments: