Saturday, February 15, 2003

Unrequited Love On Valentine's Day

Andy Sullivan has taken up the defense of Rush Limbaugh following Eric Alterman's statement that he wished Rush Limbaugh had gone deaf. I hope Sully isn't counting on Rush to return the favor. Here are some choice quotes from Rush:

Can anyone tell me with a straight face that such teaching is not for the express purpose of indoctrinating students with the false notion that homosexuality is as normal as heterosexuality? Surely no one can argue that it is healthy to encourage such a lifestyle. Even if you reject the moral objections to this lifestyle, you cannot honestly deny the overwhelming evidence that homosexual behavior statistically reduces one�s life span. (source)

[Rush Limbaugh] Praising Strom Thurmond for calling a gay soldier "not normal": "He's not encumbered by being politically correct.... If you want to know what America used to be--and a lot of people wish it still were--then you listen to Strom Thurmond." (TV show, 9/1/93; Source)

"When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it's an invitation." (Source)

And, perhaps most pertinent to our discussion:

"I have about had it being told that the plight of the homeless is my fault. I'm sick and tired of turning on my TV and being told that the AIDS crisis is my fault too, because I don't care enough." (Source)

Eric Alterman has apologized; Rush Limbaugh has not.

No comments: