Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Correction and Apologies to Jeff Jacoby, Mickey Kaus, Atrios, Mark Kleiman and My Unnamed Correspondent

My comment below was incorrect. Mickey Kaus has been advised by Jeff Jacoby that there are seven (or six) articles in which the Boston Globe falsely identifies Kerry as Irish, four on the front page. (I have not seen the articles, but assume they exist.) My e-mail correspondent accurately described the method and results of his search, and I reached an inaccurate conclusion from his accurate statements that Jacoby's column was incorrect. My incorrect conclusion was based on information I knew to be incomplete. My entry was linked to by Atrios, Mark Kleiman and possibly others, who were misled by my inaccurate conclusion.

As I stated yesterday morning, "If Jacoby is right -- which could be easily documented -- I will be happy to correct any error." And so I do.

Update: I have now seen excerpts of the articles, and they correspond with Mickey Kaus's description of them.

No comments: