Sunday, July 27, 2008

Shit You Don't Care About

My five-year old, out of the blue, reads. He gave us no clues that he knew most of the sounds in the alphabet and knows intuitively how to put the phonetics together. How did that happen? It's like the reading fairy came to visit yesterday.

I spent an hour, stunned as he read every word I put in front of him. Spines of books, cleaning products, food cans and jars-90% on target most of the time. He doesn't have his silent e and diphthongs in place yet, but I am one proud papa. I had nothing to do with his ability. I mean, I'd occasionally show him how to sound out words, but he doesn't just sound them out-he does it in his head, then completes the word in total.

To celebrate, here is Charlie singing The Dead Milkmen's "RC's Mom".


No comments: