Thursday, December 04, 2003

Roger's Book Sack

I'm not a fan of most historical fiction. Often the author is mediocre at best and the historical figures are, as characters, are so underdeveloped and wooden that the book is painful to read. Take Jeff Shaara, for example. Or Colleen McCullough and her Caesar books.... John Jakes.... You get the idea. If the writing is deadly, it doesn't matter how good -- or interesting -- the history is. (On the other hand, if the history's off, I don't care so much because I know it's a novel.)

Mark Kleiman's recommendation/review of Neil Stephenson's Quicksilver, along with a profile I read concerning the author, has gotten me interested in that book. The size of the book (given my lack of spare time) still intimidates me, as does the fact that it's part of a planned trilogy, but it sounds like it's worth the effort.

If anyone has any favorite historical fiction titles, let us know.

No comments: