Saturday, November 15, 2003

"I Laughed, I Cried, I Stained Myself...."

The print ads for the film version of The Human Stain feature a rave review from, of all people, Ward Connerly. That ad's not online, but here's a Lloyd Grovel column quoting Connerly's endorsement. Connerly says, "every generation has its race movie � from 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' to 'To Kill a Mockingbird' � and I believe that 'The Human Stain' is the race movie for this generation."

Well, I have to disagree. "Soul Man" and "True Identity" are the race pictures of this generation.

Grovel claims that Connerly's "crusade against affirmative action and racial identification has earned him savage personal vilification and death threats." What Grovel and Connerly leave unsaid is that Connerly's crusade also has earned him speaking fees and a place on the University of California Board of Regents, not to mention early screenings of Miramax films.

No comments: