Saturday, May 17, 2003

Roger's Media Notes

Even though the current edition of Vanity Fair has articles by Chris Hitchens and Dominick Dunne and a feature on Drew Barrymore, it's still worth reading, just for James Wolcott's take on the White House press corps and their play-acting during Bush's faux prime time press conference. He smacks O'Reilly hard as well. My suggestion: Check out Vanity Fair at the library and pick up Wolcott's novel, The Catsitters, in paperback with (part) of the money you've saved.

* * *

I slept through the live broadcast of C-SPAN's 3-hour Washington Journal program on blogging, then fell asleep while I watched it on streaming video. From what's on the website, I don't think I missed much. The last thing I remember was someone talking about an Atlanta Braves baseball blog that wasn't actually online right now. The show seemed one-fifth-assed, at best. And I'm guessing no one mentioned how much they love ol' Rogereither.

* * *

TV Guide has a sidebar in this week's issue about an ABC News insider who says the network promoted John Stossel to 20/20 anchor because he's conservative. I can't find the blurb at the online edition of the magazine, and I don't want to buy the magazine either, so you'll just have to trust me.

* * *

The very lucky Susan M. from Suburban Guerrilla broke bread with James Capozzola of The Rittenhouse Review and TRR: The Lighter Side of Rittenhouse this week. (See May 15 entry at Suburban Guerrilla.) If it wasn't for all those damn Red states in the way, I'd be close enough to have dinner with Jim too.

That last one doesn't have anything to do with the media, but if Howie Kurtz can get away with it, so can I.

No comments: