Thursday, June 03, 2004

Deep Thoughts, By Jack Daniels

Or, There'll Always Be An Idiot.

But they do remind me of something that occurred to me one day about 30 years ago. I was watching on TV one of the great movies of the British new wave of the 1960s. I think it was "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner." I thought to myself: British acting is simply the best in the world, England is drenched in great acting now. Then I realized it had been for generations -- Gielgud, Redgrave, et al. Then I thought: Hmmmm. The rise of England's acting class the past century seems to coincide perfectly with the fall of its power as a wealthy and powerful nation that made a difference in the world -- an exploring nation, a conquering one.

This has been the second in Nooners' series on her most recent delusion, "If It's Not On Film, It Didn't Happen." Don't miss Part I: "Abu Ghraib: I'm Not Listening, La-La-LA, Just Shut Up, SHUT UP, SHUT UP."

(Via TBogg.)

No comments: